As we were faced with our final full week on the project a sense of impending doom fell rather heavily on my head for the Monday morning commute. How was this game going to be completed on time? Were we even going to produce our minimal viable product? And why in God’s name am I not a Photoshop voodoo master by now? Terrifyingly, at the time an overarching to-do list appeared on the wall with far too many sticky note for my liking, and an exceptional amount of words and phrases I still didn’t understand. However, as the day progressed and tasks were distributed between the four of us, what appeared to be a rather well-functioning game appeared before our eyes; proving ultimately that something from the past three weeks must have stuck. Looking back at original versions of the game and old tick lists the extent to which progress has been made is something I did not think possible this time last week.
This demanding to-do list however became my best friend as I felt I was back in primary school gaining a gold star every time a sticky note was moved into the completed section. Following this, phrases such as CSS and variable implementation became as clear as, well a fogged glass, but this was still progress from mud. Although all this progress did not come without difficulty as the incredibly frustrating challenges of Photoshop layers and editing tried all of our patience to the limits, with laptops close to being flung out the window. Still, there was a definite overarching enjoyment in seeing something that started as nothing being moulded and sculpted into a product that we could happily give to the museum. This excitement was emphasised when I found I was able to create edits in Twine by myself and not see the game implode in front of my face. Due to the project having a focus none of us undergrads are familiar with, this allowed for all the less than small victories to feel like conquering the world, which has been a welcome contrast to the constant state of confusion.
Seeing the end in sight has, if anything, made us focus more and want to create a product that is the best of all our abilities. However the counter-effect of this means that the frustration level in one room has reached an arguably dangerous pitch as glitches and white marks on edits are finalised for the fourth and fifth times. The anticipation of what our finished product will look like is driving all of my efforts to complete this project.